PDA

View Full Version : The Ford GT40s dirty little Chevy secret

darren
07-22-2011, 04:07 PM
When the Ford GT40 cruised to victory at Le Mans in 1967 it was the first all-American car with all-American drivers to win. But the car was more American than people realized thanks to a few lightweight Chevy parts. Jalpnik Article (http://jalopnik.com/5823083/the-ford-gt40s-dirty-little-chevy-secret)

James Stern
07-22-2011, 04:55 PM
Well for sure it wasn't the millions of dollars Henry jr poured into the project it was the Corvair tail lights.:crazy

Ron77
07-23-2011, 05:30 AM
James,

Remember the Corvairs had to run fast to keep other cars from running over them. Actually I drove a Corvair Spider while in the military that belonged to a Captain and it was pretty fast for what it was. But a real pain on any type of sharp curve.

Ron

James Stern
07-23-2011, 08:07 AM
Ron, My wife drove a Corvair. The one main bolt sheared and the engine fell out about 2 blocks from her house. She opened up the boot lid and didn't see the engine (it was night) ran home and told her dad "It's on the ground, it's on the ground". Made for one of those great family stories that goes on for genrations.:crazy:crazy

Ron77
07-23-2011, 08:51 AM
James,

Now that is a great story and one that I had not heard. I have heard several other weird stories from people that owned them.

Ron :crazy

rodneym
07-23-2011, 12:59 PM
That article was pathetic attempt to latch the Chevy name to a World Champion. :p

nomad
07-23-2011, 01:22 PM
Well, that's explains it all! No wonder they won the Championship.
I'm off to Mr. Nader's house now for a public whipping.......................

Cheers

twincreek
08-11-2011, 09:58 AM
WTHey! I always thought it was the racing heritage of Ford Motor's since the begining.
Now i find out if not for chevy tailights it would never have happened.
Useless info in my opinion, if they were purchased at the parts house proly aftermarket anyhow, not that it makes a difference.

marvin